Last week myself, Freya, Emilia, Hannah and Jackie met to discuss plans for the poppy project tea time fundraiser. We made some excellent progress and things are really shaping up but there are still loads of jobs to do and lots of exciting thinsg to get involved with. Here’s what we’ve done so far and jobs you can get involved in.
The plan is to hold a tea party outside at the Friends Meeting House in their lovely garden, with a contingency to move indoors if the weather is bad. The date for the event is Saturday 2nd July, 2-5pm. Tickets will be sold at £5 each, which includes entry to the garden and a cup of tea and slice of cake (exact details to be decided). There will be various entertainments during the afternoon including – music (including Ali’s women’s choir and other acoustic acts), games (such as guess sweets in the jar, tombola), massage (for a donation) and the opportunity to buy feminist brighton products such as bags, all proceeds of which will go to the poppy project. Other suggestions have included a clothes swapping area (£1 donations per item), theatre acts, and poetry reading.
Things to get involved in:
* Music – can you perform or do you have friends who would be happy to play for free. Contact Emilia
* Decorations etc – we needs pretty plates, jugs, tea pots, trays, table cloths, picnic rugs. Contact Jackie with anything you can supply.
* Donations of money (to pay for the premises) and prizes. We need prizes for the tombola and donations of money to cover expenses – do you work for a company that would sponsor a table to help us pay for the meeting house? Can you ring round shops and businesses to get prizes for our tombola? – Contact Freya
* PR and advertising – if you’d like to help out with contacting local radio and papers contact Laura. Emilia is organising electronic advertising such as mailing lists. We’ll be sending out an electronic flyer shortly so if you are on any mailing lists please send it out!
* Baking – we need cakes, and people to bake them. We anticipate at least 50 people will attend, so we’ll need around 200-300 cakes or other tea items, so that people can buy extra ones, and we can feed all the volunteers. Contact Hannah if you would like to bake a batch of cakes. If 10 people bake 30 small cakes or 2 big ones we’d have enough very easily.
* Tickets – we need to start selling tickets as soon as possible. If we all sell five or six to our friends we’d be away. Tickets are £5 each. Contact Laura to arrange collecting tickets to sell.
The next planning meeting is next tuesday the 24th May, from 7pm in the Battle of Trafalgar pub which is near Brighton station, up the steep hill on the left hand side of the road.